AD&D and Life

LIFE benefits

Accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) pays in the event of accidents on or off the job while travelling by public or private transportation.

Life insurance provides an added layer of financial protection for you and your family, paying in the event of a covered member's death.

AD&D and life plans work in addition to any coverage you have with other benefits. If your company pays for life and AD&D, these voluntary plans will stack on top of that employer-sponsored coverage.

Plan Features

AD&D features:

  • Employee coverage up to $500,000 in increments of $10,000, up to 5x salary
  • Spousal coverage up to $250,000 in increments of $5,000, up to 50% of employee's coverage
  • Dependent AD&D maximum of $10,000 coverage in increments of $2,000, up to 50% of employee's level of overage

Life insurance features:

  • Same maximum coverage amounts and limits for employe & spouse as AD&D
  • Dependent life for ages 14 days-6 mo: $250 max. Flat $10,000 to age 25 if unmarried FT student
  • If you make $100,000 or greater in base salary per year, your executive life insurance offering is through MetLife rather than Aetna.

Download a printable summary of the plans:
DOWNLOAD


Learn more about our AD&D plan with this short video.

Learn more about life insurance.

 

Answers to your questions

Questions? We have answers! Here are your most frequent AD&D and life insurance questions.

Q: What is guarantee issue?

A: If you enroll in life benefits during your initial eligibility period, coverage is granted with no conditions or underwriting up to the guarantee issue amount:

  • Employee guarantee issue: $150,000
  • Spouse guarantee issue: $25,000
  • Child(ren) guarantee issue: $10,000

While these amounts apply to life insurance, all AD&D coverage is guarantee issue at any amount.

Q: Will I need underwriting?

A: If enrolling in life after your initial eligibility period or for more than the guarantee issue, you will be contacted by the insurance company to complete an evidence of insurability form.

Once contacted, you have 30 days to complete the request. The next opportunity to apply will be the next annual open enrollment period. Life insurance enrollments or increases over the guarantee issue amount will only be active after the forms are received and Nextep is notified of approval.

AD&D coverage is not subject to underwriting. Your coverage will be approved at any eligible amount.

Q: What could delay coverage?

A: AD&D and life will be delayed if not actively employed on the date insurance would become effective. Dependent coverage will be delayed if totally disabled on the effective date.

Q: What if I'm terminally ill?

A: If terminally ill and not expected to live past 12 months, you may request an accelerated benefit payout of up to 75%. The remaining 25% will be paid to your beneficiaries upon your death.

Q: How much do I need?

A: Deciding how much life insurance to purchase is a personal decision that varies from family to family.

To estimate the amount of life insurance your family would need, first calculate everything you now provide for your family including:

  • Benefits/health insurance
  • 401(k) and retirement savings
  • Personal services you perform for your family, such as child care, cooking, home maintenance, etc.
  • Then, subtract your personal expenses including: Annual spending on personal needs, such as food, clothing, entertainment, etc.

Q: How do I access my account?

A: You can either log into your Nextep account or visit MyBenefits to see coverage details or make changes. You can also contact Nextep at 888-811-5150 or MetLife at 1-800-GET-MET8 for details about your plans.

Q: How do I file a claim?

A: To file a claim for AD&D or life benefits, you or your beneficiary will need to contact MetLife at 1-800-GET-MET8. Visit MetLifes Services & Claims to download forms, update beneficiaries, or file a claim.

Nextep's benefits department is here to help!

Do you have more questions about our benefits? Log in to your account and chat with us, call 888-811-5150, or submit your question here.