Group Whole Life
You can't always predict the future, but this benefit allows you to prepare for it.
Group whole life pays in the event of your death, helping your family maintain financial peace of mind. As long as you pay the benefit costs, this life insurance does not expire, age out, or increase in cost based on health conditions.
Enrolling is easy! To enroll, simply visit mm.benselect.com/enroll. Enter your SSN as the username and your 4-digit birth year as the password.
- Whole life protects you through your entire lifetime, as long as benefit costs are paid
- Coverage is guarantee issue up to $100,000 if enrolling during initial eligibility
- This benefit is portable and can go with you if you leave the company, as long as you keep up payments
- Costs are fixed for different age tiers and won't increase due to health conditions
- Generally, benefits are paid tax-free
- Participants are eligible to receive funds, known as dividends, from a portion of the company’s earnings. Learn more about your dividends options when you enroll.
Download a printable summary of the plan:
Answers to your questions
Questions? We have answers! Here are your most frequent group whole life questions.
Q: How is group whole life different than term life?
A: Think of it as the difference between temporary and permanent. Term life insurance offers temporary benefits, only during the period that coverage is paid for.
Group whole life offers permanent, accumulating coverage.
Q: How much insurance do I need?
A: The answer will vary based on family and lifestyle needs. Consider how much money your loved ones will need to pay the mortgage, fund college, reduce debt, cover nursing home fees, and handle other financial needs without ytour income.
Use MassMutual's online calculator to help find the right amount that works for you.
Q: How do I sign up?
A: To enroll, visit mm.benselect.com/enroll. Enter your SSN as the username and your 4-digit birth year as the password. Simple instructions will walk you through the enrollment process and let you know what your cost will be. You must complete this step to receive coverage.
Both full and part-time employees are eligible to enroll in group whole life.
If you've previously waived or dropped this benefit, you will need to go through underwriting to qualify for the policy.
Q: What is not covered?
A: Typically, life insurance will not pay a death benefit for the following circumstances:
- Dishonesty on your enrollment form
- Death through acts of war
- Suicide, if policy is held fewer than two years
- Unpaid policy costs
- Death due to high-risk or illegal activities
Q: What if my employment ends?
A: You have the option to take your coverage with you if your employment ends. If you use this option, you will need to pay MassMutual directly for your coverage, rather than rely on automatic paycheck deductions.
Log into your account at mm.benselect.com to make changes or continue coverage.
Q: How do I make a claim?
A: To make a claim, simply log in at mm.benselect.com to walk through the claims process.
Claims may be made in the event of a policy holder's death. Also, if diagnosed with a terminal illness that is expected to result in death within 12 months, policy holders may receive an advance on the death benefit payout.
Nextep's benefits department is here to help!
Do you have more questions about our benefits? Log in to your account and chat with us, call 888-811-5150, or submit your question here.